Tuesday 16 - Wednesday the 17 April 2013
at the Jubilee Campus,
Please submit abstracts at
Please select the WPSA option when you register.
The United Kingdom Branch of the WPSAThe UK Branch was established in 1946 and has the same objectives as the parent Association but also places emphasis on the advancement of vocational training and education in poultry husbandry and poultry science. The Branch is a charity, registered in England No 803616, run by an elected Council of Trustees with a number of Committees.
A typical series of meetings of the Branch consists of:
- (a) A two-day Annual Meeting held in late March / early April, including;
- (i) The Annual General Meeting of the Branch
- (ii) A Symposium consisting of invited papers on a specialised scientific or industrial topic
- (iii) A session of Short Submitted Research Papers during which scientists, especially young research workers, can present their latest findings.
- (iv) A poster session with opportunities to review research work completed and in progress
(b) A Poultry Science Symposium normally held in alternate years. Each Symposium is residential over three days and is concerned with particular topics ranging over basic science and practical applications. Recent Symposia were:
25th Symposium (1997) - Poultry Meat Science
26th Symposium (1999) - Poultry Feedstuffs
27th Symposium (2003) - Welfare of Laying Hens
28th Symposium (2005) - Avian Gut Function, Health and Disease
29th Symposium (2007) - Biology of Breeding Poultry
- 30th Symposium (2011) - Alternative Systems for poultry - Health, Welfare and Productivity
- All members of the Branch receive a Newsletter on current activities, sent out in Spring, Summer and Autumn. The Newsletters contain information regarding Branch meetings and affairs, European workshops and symposia , and developments in the World body.
The Proceedings of a Poultry Science Symposium provide an up-to-date text book on issues of current research. The papers of Volumes 1 – 24 which are in print may be purchased from Carfax Publishing Co, PO Box 25, Abingdon, Oxon, OX14 3UE and the 2003 and 2005 Symposium proceedings are available from CABI Publishing, CAB International, Wallingford, Oxon, OX10 8DE.